[Lexicog] Variants

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue May 23 18:41:35 UTC 2006

That's a good question, Dave. I have noted variants within my Cheyenne dictionary and they are of both kinds that you have asked about.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

  I have a question about lexical variants. Assuming a dictionary is written
  in one primary dialect, does a variant have to refer only to variant
  spellings of a word from the primary dialect? What if the word from the
  primary dialect is pronounced with a slight difference in a minor dialect?
  Could that not be called a dialectical variant? Or would it have to be
  called a synonym since it is not a variant from the primary dialect? How
  narrow is the term "variant"? How have you used this term "variant" in your
  own dictionaries?

  Thanks,
  Dave