[Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Mon May 29 16:55:18 UTC 2006

"for" doesn't mean the same thing in those two constructions, either;
"during the period of time named by (the object)" and "until the
occurrence of a salient event involving (the object)". I'll bet that if
the "period of time" sense of "ferry" becomes dominant for any group of
speakers the meaning of "wait for a ferry" = "wait (out) a ferry" will
become more possible.

I have some words/phrases that are sort of ambivalent, in my linguistic
system. "Wait for a tide" is pretty much like "wait for a bus", but
maybe has a bit of "wait out a tide", parallel to "wait (out) an hour".
"Wait for three tides" is more balanced in the possibilities. (The old
equivalence tide=time is somehow relevant here.) "Wait for three
orbits/lunar cycles" I can construe pretty well either way.

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM