[Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Mon May 29 16:45:49 UTC 2006

Sounds like a new sense of "a ferry" is being gradually conventionalized
(at least for that speaker and those in his circle): "the cycle, and the
associated period of time, from one ferry trip to the next."  And/or a
new (transitive?) sense of "wait" = "wait for/out Obj".

Could this man say, with equal facility, "I waited an airplane"? or "I
slept a bus"? If not, that's evidence that "ferry" is being given
special treatment.

None of which contradicts, but rather fits in quite exactly, with your
observation that by the right placement you can  "use any phrase that is
susceptible to being interpreted as an adverbial of the relevant sort."
It just adds that doing that a few times with the same lexical item
starts a new sense on its way.

I would take some issue with your comment:

If "a ferry" were the direct
object, then why can it be omitted and a PP or adverbial appear in its
place?  You don't see that kind of substitutability with ordinary
transitive verbs.

But you do, in fact, get time nouns there: wait an hour, sleep an hour. And by your data, "ferry" appears to be metamorphosing into that kind of noun (without of course losing its concrete object sense "boat for carrying cars etc. across a relatively narrow body of water"). Many transitive verbs do in fact impose strong semantic restrictions on the class of objects they allow, and objects grade into other kinds of complements, including prepositional-phrase complements, in many ways. If what you mean is that this is not a prototypical direct object, OK, but if you mean it can't be assimilated to the class of direct objects at all, I am much less sure. (Of course if your theory demands a +/- judment on direct objecthood, perhaps by setting up passivizability as the sole criterion, you might say this simply isn't a direct object. But that has problems, for sure.)

Btw, is a ferry a boat that ferries things, or is ferrying things doing the sort of thing a ferry does?

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM