[Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Tue May 30 19:36:57 UTC 2006

Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak --

I would be interested to read what you have written about metalinguistic
competence. I am not particularly interested in metaphonological
compentence, but I am interested in metalinguistic competence, as you define
it.

-- David

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak" <SOBKOW at AMU.EDU.PL>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Slots and slot fillers (nee "Nouns")

David Frank:

>Patrick -- I really liked what you said about two types of competence. If
>you would publish something that contains that thought, it would make it
>easier for me to quote you on it.

It may be of some interest in this context that my 1991 book on
"Metaphonology of English Paronomasic Puns" was entirely devoted to what
Patrick calls exploitation, and what I called the metaphonological
competence -- that being part of metalinguistic competence, i.e. (briefly)
native competence to manipulate/exploit language rules and entities for
non-communicative purposes (mostly ludic -- hence puns).  Notice that this
sense of 'metalinguistic' is different from Jakobson's.

Mail me off-list for more details, if interested.

WS
prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University