[Lexicog] gendered language references

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Nov 21 20:15:04 UTC 2006

In German we say "Muttersprache"(mother tongue) but "Vaterland"
(fatherland).

Fritz Goerling

I'm wondering about English terms for kinds of languages:

Why do we speak of a mother tongue but not a father tongue?

Why do we speak of sister languages but not brother languages?

Why are there daughter languages but not son languages?

Why can we refer to both a motherland and a fatherland?

Do other languages use kinship terms to refer to language relationships?

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman