[Lexicog] gendered language references

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 25 15:34:19 UTC 2006

What I meant by "striking" is the strong evidence such words provide that grammatical gender has little to do with ideology. The association between "father" and country and between "mother" and language must find its explanation elsewhere.

--Ken

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> wrote:
  Ken, I find nothing striking about that in the same way as I do not find it striking that German “Vaterland” has “Vater” (= father) and “Land” (neuter gender).

  Fritz

  Ken Hill wrote:
          Grammatical gender is an insufficient explanation. I find it striking that in Spanish, the word for "fatherland" is grammatically feminine: la patria. Patria is a Latin word derived from pat(e)r 'father' + the feminine derivational suffix -ia.

 --Ken

      .