[Lexicog] problems in lexicography

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Nov 30 19:14:21 UTC 2006

Dear Catherine,

I would recommend that you use the Dictionary Development Process (DDP)
method of collecting words. You can download the materials from the DDP
website:

HYPERLINK
"http://www.sil.org/computing/ddp/index.htm"http://www.sil.org/computing/ddp
/index.htm

The materials are free. You can collect just those words that are relevant
for your study or collect a large percentage of the vocabulary of Bicol,
depending on your resources and purpose. The DDP method is essentially to
use the mental network of native speakers to think through the words used to
talk about a particular subject. As words come to mind, you write them down.

You should use this method in conjunction with the text corpus method. The
text corpus method will enable you to extract a large number of words that
are used in the texts. Other words that are used to talk about the subject
may not show up in the text corpus. These other words can be collected using
the DDP method.

Ron Moe

   _____