[Lexicog] First Lady

John Clifton john_clifton at SIL.ORG
Sun Oct 22 19:21:19 UTC 2006

In the short-lived ABC TV series 'Commander in Chief,' Geena Davis plays
the role of a US Vice President who becomes President through the death
of the President - thus becoming the first female president of the US.
In the series, her husband's title is 'First Gentleman.' Among other
topics, the show dealt with what the responsibilities of the 'First
Gentleman' would be. The Wikipedia entry on 'Commander in Chief' notes
the use of the term 'First Gentleman.'

There is also a Wikipedia entry on 'First Lady of the United States.' It
is noted there that women other than wives of presidents have served as
First Lady, due to the president being a widower or bachelor, or the
wife being unable or unwilling to fulfill the functions of the First
Lady. A list of non-wives who have fulfilled this role is included in
the entry.

It is also noted that a number of women have been elected as state
governors - their husbands have been referred to as the 'First Man,' or
'First Gentleman.'

Yet another entry, 'First Gentleman,' focuses on the husband of the
current Governor of Michigan. In that entry, it is claimed that the
titles have 'ranged from First Husband to First Dude,' although no
example of First Dude is given.

John Clifton

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com