[Lexicog] First Lady

Michael Nicholas mrnicholas007 at YAHOO.ES
Mon Oct 23 10:59:37 UTC 2006

Dear Fritz, My mistake. I thought that Adenaur was a widower who was looked after in his final years by a sister/daughter? and wondered howthat sort of situation was handled by the protocol dept.

Fritz Goerling <Fritz_Goerling at sil.org> escribió:              Buenos dias, Michael,

  To answer your question:
  “By the way, Fritz, who was the First Lady in the Adenaur era?”

  Of course, his wife. I have lived then  already and always respected “der Alte”
  = The Old Man) which is a term of high respect in German.
  Maybe “First Lady” was not borrowed into German at that time yet. But certainly one could have said “die Erste Dame” (like you say in Spanish “Primera Dama”). I don’t know why we Germans borrow so many Americanisms at this historical period.

  I hope this answers your question, although I do not quite understand what you are driving at.

  Hasta luego,

  Fritz

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com