[Lexicog] Shoebox merge and remove duplicates

Martin Hosken martin_hosken at SIL.ORG
Fri Sep 22 06:28:52 UTC 2006

Dear Wayne,
> I'm back on the Cheyenne reservation for a week of language work. Somehow,
> in the process of creating a smaller database for a school program, I lost
> track of my complete database with its latest edits. So I have now made many
> changes to a slightly smaller version of the complete database. I still have
> the complete database but it is not not up-to-date with changes made this
> week.
>
> Is there to automate a process of merging my current database with the
> older, larger one and end up with a new database which has all and only the
> database records I want? I don't want to manually delete duplicate entries.
> I've done that before and it's too much work with the size of my database
> now.
>
> I am willing to do a visual check using some compare-files software, if I
> can compare differences between two Shoebox databases. But the more
> automated the process can be, without losing data, the better.

Assuming you have no multiple entries in your database, there is a
program that is part of SHUtils that should help you. It's called shadd
SHUtils is available from http://scripts.sil.org/SHUtils-manual

GB,
Martin

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com