Secondary entries (was Re: [Lexicog] Query on how to deal with coined words)

Vincent `Bentong` S. Isles bentong.isles at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 2 09:45:24 UTC 2007

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the extended help :) That gives me an idea of what approach
to take regarding that problem.

I am also unsure of my approach regarding secondary entries. I would
have wanted related phrases to be entered as secondary entries under
the headwords they are composed of, like this:

\lx puti
\se puti og itlog

But I realize I also need to put the same secondary entry under other
entry or entries:

\lx puti
\se puti og itlog

\lx itlog
\se puti og itlog

This means I will have to update (at least) two parts of the file if
in case I need to change s.t. on the \se field. So what I am doing is
to put the secondary entry as a full entry in its own right:

\lx puti
\cf puti og itlog

\lx itlog
\cf puti og itlog

\lx puti og itlog
\cf puti
\cf itlog

Is this acceptable? Thanks in advance!

---Bentong Isles

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at ...> wrote:

> [...]
> language name and form in the same field, but you may have to use
different
> fonts for the two. It is difficult (but not impossible) to combine
two fonts
> in the same field. If you want to record a succession of borrowings, you
> would have to put everything into this one field. To produce an
article like
> the following would be difficult:
>

> grace n. Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or
> proportion. [Middle English, from Old French, from Latin gra:tia, from
> gra:tus, pleasing. See gwere- in Appendix].
>

> If you are using the same font for the source language name and the
form of
> the word, you can combine them in the \bw field:
>

> \lx siyudad
>
> \bw Spanish: ciudad
>

> \et This field is designed for just the reconstructed proto form. It
would
> normally be used for the form in the proto-language. The field was not
> designed for indicating successive stages in a word's history. If
you want
> to use the field for just the proto form, you can't also use it for a
> discussion of successive stages. For instance in English we often
want to
> indicate the form of the word in Middle English, Old English,
> proto-Germanic, and proto-Indo-European. We would want to reserve
the \et
> field only for the proto-Indo-European form. So there is no field
for the
> other forms. To produce an article like the following would be very
> difficult:
>

> yearn v. To have a strong, often melancholy desire. [Middle English
yernen,
> from Old English geornan, giernan. See gher- in Appendix.]
>

> (Examples adapted from the American Heritage Dictionary.]
>

> There is no place at all in the system for recording the history of
coined
> words. All that I can suggest is that you use the \et field for all
> discussions of the history of the word. This way the MDF system will
allow
> you to print the information. If you want specific fields for particular
> pieces of information, such as the proto form, then you can set up a
custom
> field for it. Unfortunately you won't be able to print these fields
with the
> MDF system. Here is how I would record the information for your example:
>

> \lx dakbayan
>

> \et Coined in the 1930s from fv:DAKong fv:BAYAN `big town'.
>

> You have to put "fv:" before each word that uses the vernacular
font. If you
> don't have a special vernacular font, then you wouldn't need the
"fv:". The
> MDF manual tells how to change the font or character style within a

3/28/2007
> 4:23 PM
>

> --
3/30/2007