[Lexicog] Re: Secondary entries (and) Query on how to deal with coined words)

goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM goodtracks at PEOPLEPC.COM
Sat Apr 7 14:43:36 UTC 2007

Bentong:
Your approach for secondary entries in your note (below), is how I have listed my Baxoje Jiwere entries, namely, under an entry word and then as subentries as you have indicated.  Again, I list them again in consideration under the several words in the phrase.
I do the same in the English section.    For example, the English phrase "by the way", will be found both in the B's & W's English sections.  In both, English and Baxoje Jiwere,  the main entry may have a numerous derivative phrases, that in English, we think of as "sets".  In such cases, I break up the subentries into paragraphs, so as not to have unneccessarily lengthy paragraphs, as per the examples below.

ä:     intj.   Well!  Well now!  (Used by women for emphasis).

a ~ á ~ ^á: ~ ^à: ~ ä (masc.); k^a ~ k^á ~ ^ä (fem.)  Well!  Now!  Well, now!  [NOTE:  It is an oral period indicating surprise, or an assertive, emphatic or ironical statement.  It is used in lieu of the usual oral period "ke"/ "ki"].  Dáhga je  [ída+ ihgé> ä+ je],  What about it?  Is it so?   Warúkihgijeñena idáre gixrán wabáráña ^ä,  They tied them together and then they went hunting, (and having) left them.  [From Wékan:  "Hinkúñi" (My Grandmother)].  **SEE:  -han  (feminine oral period).

a ~ na [nan]  conj.   and.  [NOTE:  The two actions are by the same subject,at the same time]; it is; (Also, "-na" is used at the end of a verb to imply continuation, similar to English "-ing", or a past action).    Wan^síge yánweñena wasíñe ke,  The people are singing and dancing.   Wan^síge ná ájena há^e, háridá miná ke,  The fellow who was chopping wood lives way off.  [W.éegi; OmP.ganki/ na; Os.shki; K.dan; Q.attan; L.na/ yunkan].  **SEE:  nan; and.

a...ñe   prn.prf. (3rd pers. plural)   they (more than two persons; "they all together" + motion verb).  [NOTE: This prefixed plural is used with all verbs of motion, and a few others.  It is regularly used with the third person plural or dual conjugations ("-ñe: they" & "-wi: those two") and in certain cases with the other persons in the plural]:

aré ~ áre  (I.) demonstrative pronoun    he, she is, it is, they are; it is he, she; that, they; that one; and; that, and then; by, with.

    [NOTE:  It is used for emphasis of the subject and to express subtle meanings].
  Aré je?  Is that he?   Aré igí aré ke,  It was he (or: Here it was him).   Aré brixe ke,  He is the stronger.   Aré isdáyin ke,  You thought that it was he.   Aré ihádayin ke,  I thought that it was he.
        aré idá  n.   a beginning; a point of starting.  **SEE:  aréda.

        aré ^ún ~ áre ^ún (LWR) (as an instrumental)   Thí áre ^ún ke,  He did it with his foot.   Náwe aré ^ún ke,  He made it by hand.   I árewi^ún ke,  She makes it with her mouth.  **SEE:  ^únna (instrumental); with a, using a.

        Aré ke (masc.) ~ Aré ki (fem.) ~ It's his/ her turn.   Aré je, Is it he?  (Ríré je, Is it you? Is that you?)   Aré é ke ~ Aré^é ke.~ Adhé ^é (ke) (LV/ AL) (male speaker)   He/ she said it/ that.   Aré é ki (female speaker)   He/ she said it/ that.   Aré é^i hun (male speaker) ~ Aré é iâ (female speaker)   That's what he said.   Aré gahédan (ke),

You say that you are using Tool Box.  Initially, in my 1992 Dictionary edition, which was primarily a dictionary lexicon, rather than a full unabridged edition on which I am now working, I compiled it by using Shoe Box, the predecessor to tool box.  I attempted to continue on with Tool Box, but found I spent too much time on how to figure it out as to work for what I wanted it to do.  As such, I took my original Shoe Box printout .doc(s), transferred them into MicroSoft/Word .docs  and I have been at it alone without further use of any preprogramed software, that used up more of my time to its operation & comphrehension, in lieu of actually working on the expanding and reediting of my entires.

As to your earlier question of use of coined words, I place an entry for each under the appropriate letter in the Baxoje Jiwere section, and then put them in as sub entries in the English section, after the initial current entry.

auto; automobile; car; wagon  n.   námañi ~ námañe ~ namáñi [NAH mah nyee] (Lit: "wood walking"); éwak^in^in námañi (Lit: "something (that) moves by it self (or) self-propelled wagon"); námañi ánp^anje ~ ámp^anje, námañi p^ánp^anje ~ p^ámpanje (Lit: "spongy (or) springy wagon"); námañi kiwárè (Lit: "wagon itself it goes along")

For the most part, only my generation recall seeing, the use of a horse drawn wagon as a common means for transportaion (excepting the Amish communities who continue to use them today as a daily personal mode of family transportaion as per choice).  At the turn of the century, only the "namañi" [horse drawn wagon] was the norm.  As cars (automobiles) became more common and underwent various physical changes, so did the term, which was modified to  indicate the featured changes and that the "wagon" was no longer drawn by a horse, and contrasted with those original common "wagons" that were yet pulled by horses.
By the mid 1950s, all such "wagons" were mostly replaced with autos [except in the Amish-Mennonite communities and on Native American "Indian" reservations], so that all the compounded versions for "auto" were dropped to return back to the original "namañi" to simply referr to "cars/ autos".  In those modern instances of encountering an occassional horse drawn wagon, the phrase is simply stated as:  Shuñe namañi aminañena ahiñe ke (The arrived sitting in their horse wagon).  Oddly enough, in our late parents generation, who usually were the first bilingual (in English) generation, they would say, using English, to someone who had arrived in their car:  "Get off!" OR "Get down!"....referring to the earlier time when everyone arrived in wagons, buggies, or horseback and indeed they had to "get down".  Such background or historical information, I include as a [Note: .....etc.]  after all the terms have been given.

I hope the above is helpful.  If clarification is needed, let me know.
Feliz Celebracíon de la Pascua
To all your Friends & Family in the Philapines.
Jimm