[Lexicog] words for different kinds of laughter

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sat Feb 24 23:14:36 UTC 2007

Fritz,

I would say the English vocabulary describing laughing has about 2 or 3
levels of intensity with 'laugh' itself describing the 'norm':

Describing a restrained laugh: chortle, chuckle, crease up, giggle,
snicker, snigger, titter,
Norm: laugh, bubble/cackle with laughter
Describing an unrestrained laugh: guffaw,
hoot/howl/roar/scream/shake/shriek/snort with laughter
Completely uncontrolled laughter: fall about/ split one's sides/ have
hysterics/ piss oneself laughing.

The pattern seems to be the more unrestrained the laughing, the more
unrestrained the descriptive vocabulary. :-) I think the terms 'giggle'
and 'titter' would typically have female agents and 'guffaw' would
typically have a male agent, but I don't think the other expressions
have this restriction.

John Roberts

--
John R Roberts