[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 2 21:28:54 UTC 2007

Fritz, Hayim, David: I'm enjoying your posts re: original NT
writings. It's odd to me that linguistic analysis hasn't yet teased
out the original language that all the texts of the NT were written
in (except for the letters of Paul to actual Greek (Asia Minor)
cities (Corinthians I & II, Galatians, Esphesians, Philippians,
Colosians, Thessalonians -- and probably Romans, too). Paul himself
was born in Tarsus (Asia Minor) and grew up with the Greek tongue &
culture -- and was a Roman citizen by birth, not having Palestine
native-tongue Aramaic skills. Luke the physician, transcribed Paul's
journeys and Acts of the Apostles (and who wrote one of the three
synoptic Gospels) was almost certainly a Greek, too. The remaining
twenty-seven books of the NT are up for conjecture.
    But I've always had a question about one expression Jesus used
speaking to his mother, when on the cross he said to her, "Mother,
what is there in me and you." (Or "What do we have in common?") I've
always heard that this was an Aramaic idiom, but I've never heard a
background explanation. In the English translation, because there
seems to be no equivalent, it sounds rather disrespectful. Yet,
knowing how idioms (in the set-phrasal sense) are non-literal, I
assume there is some interesting root (or softer connotation) than
what the English affords. Is there anyone with knowledge of the
origin of that expression?

Scott N.

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Hayim Sheynin
<hsheynin19444 at ...> wrote:

> Dear David and Fritz,
>
> If anything, I intended that the original of some parts (like four
synoptic  Gospels
> and Acts) of the NT could be or might be written in Palestinian
Aramaic, perhaps Galilean dialect. I know that most of the
theologians today are convinced that
> so called Q-text (a prototypal source of the NT) was written in
Greek. But nobody saw this Q-text, and it seems to me logical  that
it could be written in
> the original language of Jesus Christ and his disciples. Until the
earliest text found, my suggestion must remain as a suggestion. If
the original text had be
> written in Greek, I cannot understand an animosity of earlier
Rabbis who saw
> the Christian teaching as very harmful for Rabbinic Judaism. The
Jews of Rabbinic period (i.e. Hellenistic and Roman periods) did not
have easy access to Greek writings. If they knew Greek, this was a
street language. It is true for Palestine, but it is different for
Alexandria and North African Jewish settlements.

wrote:
> Fritz --
>
>  I think what Scott meant was that the  New Testament as most
people know it today -- i.e. in translation -- is derived  from the
Greek (original). I understood his point to be that while the Old
Testament was originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic, the New
Testament was  originally written in Greek.

>  Hayim had an interesting theory that  what we call the New
Testament may have originally been written in Hebrew. That  is an
intriguing idea, but as far as I know it is just a theory or
speculation,  though as you said, Fritz, there is sometimes evidence
of a Hebrew  substratum. As we have been discussing idiomatic
phrases, I understand  that "son(s) of" as in "sons of thunder," "son
of perdition," etc. is a  Hebrew idiom that was carried over
literally into the Greek New Testament  scriptures. But you know this
better than I do, Fritz.

>  I have sometimes said something  similar to what Hayim said. I
have pointed out that the Greek New Testament  scriptures were a
translation in themselves, in that the words of Jesus and his
followers would have been uttered in Aramaic but written down in
Greek. Except  for those few cases that Hayim mentioned where the
Aramaic utterances were  transliterated rather than translated.

>  -- your friend and  colleague David Frank

Testament was
>    not translated from    Greek either but written in Greek. Paul
is more known as    the
>    apostle to the    Gentiles.
>
>    Fritz    Goerling
>
>             Hayim, I liked your points, point by point.
> I'm a    little confused though about your reference to the Bible
> translation. The    New Testament needs differentiation from the
Old
> Testament. The New    Testament was derived from Greek, not Hebrew.
It
> was clumped together with    the Old Testament, into what modern
> Christians call "The Bible." Hebrew    (Aramaic language), with
Hebrew

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com