[Lexicog] Re: When Semantics Doesn't Matter

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 2 20:38:17 UTC 2007

Dear David and Fritz,

If anything, I intended that the original of some parts (like four synoptic  Gospels
and Acts) of the NT could be or might be written in Palestinian Aramaic, perhaps Galilean dialect. I know that most of the theologians today are convinced that
so called Q-text (a prototypal source of the NT) was written in Greek. But nobody saw this Q-text, and it seems to me logical  that it could be written in
the original language of Jesus Christ and his disciples. Until the earliest text found, my suggestion must remain as a suggestion. If the original text had be
written in Greek, I cannot understand an animosity of earlier Rabbis who saw
the Christian teaching as very harmful for Rabbinic Judaism. The Jews of Rabbinic period (i.e. Hellenistic and Roman periods) did not have easy access to Greek writings. If they knew Greek, this was a street language. It is true for Palestine, but it is different for Alexandria and North African Jewish settlements.
Necessities of life pushed Greek words into Hebrew and Aramaic as loanwords,
however it is not a proof of Palestinian Jews' proficiency in Greek.

Hayim Sheynin

David Frank <david_frank at sil.org> wrote:
Fritz --

 I think what Scott meant was that the  New Testament as most people know it today -- i.e. in translation -- is derived  from the Greek (original). I understood his point to be that while the Old  Testament was originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic, the New Testament was  originally written in Greek.

 Hayim had an interesting theory that  what we call the New Testament may have originally been written in Hebrew. That  is an intriguing idea, but as far as I know it is just a theory or speculation,  though as you said, Fritz, there is sometimes evidence of a Hebrew  substratum. As we have been discussing idiomatic phrases, I understand  that "son(s) of" as in "sons of thunder," "son of perdition," etc. is a  Hebrew idiom that was carried over literally into the Greek New Testament  scriptures. But you know this better than I do, Fritz.

 I have sometimes said something  similar to what Hayim said. I have pointed out that the Greek New Testament  scriptures were a translation in themselves, in that the words of Jesus and his  followers would have been uttered in Aramaic but written down in Greek. Except  for those few cases that Hayim mentioned where the Aramaic utterances were  transliterated rather than translated.

 -- your friend and  colleague David Frank