[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jun 8 02:15:29 UTC 2007

Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> Today, European languages with familiar and formal forms of the second
> person pronoun are losing the formal form evidently as part of a
> democratization process.

A broad generalization is that in Costa Rica, which I would say in some
ways is the most democratic of Central American countries, the formal
form (Usted) is ousting the familiar form (tu).  The actuality is
perhaps more complex, but I've heard that many Costa Riquences even use
Usted with their pets.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu