[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Hayim Sheynin hsheynin19444 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 8 01:42:47 UTC 2007

Benjamin,

  The case of Algerian French is easy to understand, because in Arabic there is no dichotonomy tu/Vous. Instead there are dichotonomy 2 p.m./ 2 p.f. (anta/anti). And if they want to use a polite form, they use an address Monseur, Chef, etc. (In Arabic Sa'idi, Sa'idati-my master, my lady, etc.)

  However I do not know the reason of disappearance of the polite form in Nicaraguan Spanish and if so, probably in additional Spanish dialects of Latin America. Maybe somebody else on the list can enlighten me.

  Hayim Y. Sheynin

Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
          Anecdotally, I understand that French in Algiers has already lost the
formal form as has Spanish in Nicaragua. BB