[Lexicog] The Irony of Thou

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Jun 8 15:25:22 UTC 2007

Maybe there can be different ways of addressing a dog, witness the
Tunisian/Moroccan proverb:

"To the dog who has money, men say: my lord dog."

Fritz Goerling

Chaz Mortensen wrote:

In Colombia, where I consider the best Spanish in the world to be
spoken, the forms of address pretty much follow what you learn in the
textbooks: "usted" for formal, "tu" for informal. In some regions
"vos" is used instead of 'tu'. The explanation? Colombia is very
regionalized and stratified. Some interesting observations:
-Colombians address their dogs with "usted".

Mike Maxwell wrote:

A broad generalization is that in Costa Rica, which I would say in some
ways is the most democratic of Central American countries, the formal
form (Usted) is ousting the familiar form (tu). The actuality is
perhaps more complex, but I've heard that many Costa Riquences even use
Usted with their pets.