[Lexicog] Phrase: a long word with gaps?

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 10 18:40:46 UTC 2007

Phrases -- in the form of idioms, proverbs, witticisms, quotable
quotes, aphorisms, etc. virtually abound. It's no wonder that besides
the relatively recent linguistic focus on corpora, phrases have taken
on a similarly enervated importance. The basic noun phrase is
virtually ubiquitous, though given short shrift in dictionary
entries – as main entries. They are overwhelmingly subsumed under the
root word. One point about this in this post.
      Phrases, particularly idiomatic, non-literal phrases, usually
have one meaning, one level of intensity, and usually one level of
formality. If you are poorly understood in a comment, a polite
response might be "I beg your pardon?" (But who actually takes the
ords individually and literally and thinks of it as begging, or
expects forgiveness (pardon) for not understanding.) Connotation,
meaning, and contextual usage are clear.
     Less formal would be "Pardon (me)?" (Note the British
boyfriend/acquaintance of Elaine on Seinfeld, who took offense at
Elaine's response to something she didn't hear him say clearly. She
said, "What?", and he said, "You should have said, "Pardon?" (Two-
syllable words are more formal than one.) Not the kind of nicety that
Elaine was enchanted with (or Americans in general, especially with
acquaintance-level-or-higher relationships). A litany of possible
phrases could have been used – "I'm sorry, could your repeat
that?"; "Sorry, I didn't get that."; "Come again?"; "Say
what?"; "Huh?"; or the abbreviated grunt "Mmm?" – with slight upward
intonation, and slight twitch of the head in the direction of the
speaker.
     The point is, these rarely make it into standard dictionaries,
or if they do, they are found in phrasal, or idiom dictionaries – and
even then the entries are never exhaustive.        In English, when I
say that you are barking up the wrong tree, it can only mean that you
are accusing the wrong person about an offense, or possibly you are
the wrong path to finding the instigator of an offense. It always has
a negative connotation, and it always used in informal settings, with
equals or inferiors in contextual status.
    One way to do this without producing a ten-inch desk volume would
be to list them in a phrasal sub-entry, in decreasing order of
formality -- bing-bing-bing -- without explanation, perhaps under the
root `sorry.' Granted, this is done, but without order, or sometimes
thought to frequency, extremely important – as I mentioned in a
intuitively understood -- self-explanatory in nature. In this case
under the entry `say again.'
     Hopefully, as the paperless revolution takes hold, a click of
the mouse will take the searcher to a higher level of lexical
nirvana, and afford the lowly phrase a place amongst the gods. After
all (is said and done) are phrases simply multiple words with gaps?

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com