[Lexicog] how to compile data on proto-language reconstruction

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 26 08:21:30 UTC 2007

Ok, I did some testing on these suggestions. I ran into a problem with the
way MDF handles glosses. It allows only one gloss in a subentry. If more
than one gloss per subentry appears in the data, Lexique Pro concatenates
them in the display.

The way this proto-language data is structured, it needs to be able to use
the gloss as a level of the hierarchy, so that under one "\se attested form"
there can be more than one "\ge English gloss", each with its own list of
source languages. But MDF/Lexique Pro doesn't allow this. Here's a sample
entry:

\lx *abay

    \ge to travel with

  \se abay

    \ge wedding attendant

      \xv AB

    \ge to travel together at sea, in separate boats

      \xv NS.1

      \xv CS.2-3

      \xv NB.1

  \se abayan

    \ge fleet

      \xv CS.2

What MDF/Lexique Pro does with this where there is more than one gloss in a
subentry, is collect together the glosses and display them together like
this:

*abay

    to travel with

  abay

    wedding attendant; to travel together at sea, in separate boats

      AB

      NS.1

      CS.2-3

      NB.1

  abayan

    fleet

      CS.2

That's not good. Some information has been lost. What I would need it to do
is to let each gloss remain associated with its own list of source language
abbreviations, like this:

*abay

    to travel with

  abay

    wedding attendant

      AB

    to travel together at sea, in separate boats

      NS.1

      CS.2-3

      NB.1

  abayan

    fleet

      CS.2

So it seems that I do need to put the glosses somewhere else other than in
the \ge fields. They need to be in a field that is treated as a level of the
hierarchy. For now, I do have a way to handle it that seems to display OK in
Lexique Pro. If I represent it as follows:

\lx *abay

    \ps to travel with

  \se abay

    \ps wedding attendant

      \ge AB

    \ps to travel together at sea, in separate boats

      \ge NS.1

      \ge CS.2-3

      \ge NB.1

  \se abayan

    \ps fleet

      \ge CS.2

Then it displays like this:

*abay

    to travel with

  abay

    wedding attendant

      AB

    to travel together at sea, in separate boats

      NS.1; CS.2-3; NB.1

  abayan

    fleet

      CS.2

But as I mentioned in my previous note, this use of \ps feels like a bit of
an abuse of the MDF standard.

Yes, it would be good to have a standardized way to handle this kind of
data. I guess the place to start would be to collect together various
examples of such data. Are there other examples? I have no idea whether what
I'm looking at is typical for proto-language data. I guess it's a rather
rare type of data compared to MDF-type dictionaries.

It might not be too difficult to tweak the MDF CC tables to tell it not to
concatenate glosses, and to incorporate whatever other tweaks would be
needed. But it would also be necessary to have similar adjustments made in
Lexique Pro. I wouldn't want to mess with this unless we really had
something that a number of people could make good use of.

Allan

  _____