[Lexicog] Onomatopoeia

Scott Nelson bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 15 17:24:07 UTC 2007

Ken & Mike: I would mark it as an interjection, if you’re following the eight parts of speech. In a reference work it could be put in the category of “notes” or “background” or “pronunciation” or “rhetorical type”. Interestingly, speaking of “Roof, roof!” as you did, it sounds a little like two of Ariel’s songs in The Tempest 1.2.377-389; 399-407 (Signet Edition) that uses a lot of reduplicative devices: including onomatopoeism, rhyme, alliteration, and assonance (and doggie-speak). Note the coinages attributed to Shakespeare in the passages (“watchdogs” (385) & “a sea change” (404))

                             Ariel’s song

            Come unto these yellow sands,
                 And then take hands.
            Curtsied when you have and kissed
                 The wild saves whist,
            Foot it featly here and there;
            And, sweet sprites, the burden bear.
                 Hark, hark!

  Burden, dispersedly. Bow, wow!
                 The watchdogs bark.

  Burden, dispersedly. Bow, wow!
                 Hark, hark! I hear
                 The strain of strutting chanticleer
                      Cry cock-a-diddle-dow.   (Signet)

  Kissed
whist** when you have, through the harmony of kissing in the dance, kissed the wild waves into silence (?) when you have kissed in the dance, the wild waves being silenced (?)  (Signet)
  Whist = being hushed  (Riverside) || silent, quiet, hushed  (C.T. Onions)
  Featly = nimbly  (Riverside) || with graceful agility; nimbly  (C.T. Onions)
  the burden bear = bear the burden, i.e. the bass undersong.  (Riverside)
  Burden, dispersedly.= an undersong, coming from all parts of the stage; it imitates the barking of dogs and perhaps at the end of the crowing of a cock  (Signet)

       The Tempest 1.02.399-407

                  Ariel's song.

       Full fathom five thy father lies;
       Of his bones are coral made;
       Those are pearls that were his eyes;
       Nothing of him that doth fade
       But doth suffer a sea change
       Into something rich and strange.
       Sea nymphs hourly ring his knell:
       Burden. Ding-dong.
       Hark! Now I hear them -- ding-dong bell.  (Signetg)

       fadom (Riverside Edition) = fathom (Riverside)

  Onomatopoeia, of course, falls within the general category of linguistics, with the Oxford American Dictionary’s definition of ‘phonology’:  1) the branch of linguistics that deals with systems of sounds (including or excluding phonetics), esp. in a particular language.  2) the system of relationships among the speech sounds that constitute the fundamental components of a language. Ken, I think the answer to your question depends on the type of reference work you’re dealing with, and the depth of information you wish to include in it.

  Scott Nelson

Kenneth Keyes <ken_keyes at sil.org> wrote:            Dear Scott,

  I discussed it with my colleague, and he suggested that we treat onomatopoeia as an etymological note. Perhaps derivation
  would also be a possibility.

  In Turkic, onomatopoeitic verbs are formed from onomopoeitic particles, such as 'tars' "the sound of a heavy object falling", either
with a light verb 'tars-tars et' or with a verbalizing suffix -ylda 'tarsilda-' "to make the sound of something heavy falling" .
  There are also nouns, adjectives and adverbs which can be derived from these particles.

  Thanks, Ken