[Lexicog] The influence of Shakespeare on the English language and of Luther on German

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Sun May 20 20:49:18 UTC 2007

Hi, Margaret,

You are a good debater. There were other translations into German before Luther, but Luther’s imposed itself. Many of the words he coined were copied by later German translators of the Bible (also “Linsengericht”). And there are as many translations of the Bible in German as there are in English. I am sure even coinages and expressions from the fairly literal King James version have “made it” into everyday speech in English.

“Sündenbock” (in English “scapegoat”) is an especially good word creation by Luther. I dare to say “scapegoat” is also a good one.

Which translator coined it? William Tyndale or John Wycliffe? Do you or anyone on the list have the answer?

Best wishes,

Fritz

Hi Fritz,