[Lexicog] States' obligations to protect minority languages

Vincent Isles islesv at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 23 20:13:34 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I know that there are international instruments which bound our
government, the Republic of the Philippines, to protect minority
languages.

However, I am not sure if the language of these instruments explicitly
require governments to compile functional dictionaries for said
languages, or if not, if there are provisions which can be exploited
to compel a government to provide funding for lexicographical work in
a threatened language.

Also, I'm wondering if there are model contracts for a MOA between a
local government and a private entity for the later to do
lexicographical work for the former. (No need to reinvent the wheel,
IMHO ;-))

Any pointer will be much appreciated.

--Vincent Isles
http://eduphil.org/