[Lexicog] yoked

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Jan 2 20:04:23 UTC 2008

Yes, Hayim, zeugma is used with humorous effect using polysemous verbs in
puns, like:

He beat his wife and then a rapid retreat.

Happy New Year,

Fritz

Dear George!

Happy New Year to you too and also to all the members of the lexicography
list.

I looked at your last example
‘Elle [Danièle] était pulpeuse, sensuelle, protestante’ (‘She was pulpy,
sensual, Protestant’)
and contemplated, could it be that the meaning of the adjective
'protestante' here is not a

Protestant, but a Participle Present from 'protester'.
Also in this case it is not going along with the row of attributes pulpeuse,
sensuelle.
But I think 'a Protestant' is little bit shocking.

I remember studying zeugma in classical rhetorics, and I never doubted that
this figure

could  be transferred  into a modern  language. In English, I encountered it
mostly in jokes

and in comic  language. The same comic effect it produces in Russian.

All the best,

Hayim Y. Sheynin