[Lexicog] Interesting inquiry

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jul 9 04:28:29 UTC 2008

rtroike at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> I received the following inquiry from Keith Percy, who gave me
> permission to pass it on to the LexList. It is intriguing as a
> demonstration of a literal attempt to substitute dictionary
> definitions for lexical items in an effort to gain a clearer
> understanding. I have responded to him already pointing out some
> problems with his application of the method

I suppose one of the problems is that while two words or phrases might
be more or less synonymous, this does not mean their syntactic
requirements are the same, or even that their part of speech need be the
same.  So in the given example, "lose control" takes (at least in the
example sentence) a PP with 'of' as its complement, while "lose power to
check" takes an NP.  If you make the syntactic adjustment, the
replacement sentence is reasonably good, and somewhat synonymous:
   ...he begins to lose all [power to check] his liquor consumption...
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com