[Lexicog] Lexical Relations vs. Etymology

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 2 22:16:16 UTC 2008

Kenneth Keyes wrote:

> To handle this case, I created a lexical function called “Calque”.
> However, this is also the etymology of the word. How do I deal with
> the etymology? There are tons of these cases (of calques from Russian)
> in Eurasian languages.

What was your motivation for treating a loan translation (calque) as a
lexical relation? A lexical relation is a pattern of association that
exists within a language between lexical units (lexemes). What is the
pattern of association for calques?

A calque is a borrowing into one language from another language but it
is not a direct borrowing. It is a lexical term created by a literal
translation of a lexical expression in the donor language. So 'calque'
describes the type of borrowing, i.e. the origin or etymology of the
lexical term. It doesn't describe the relationship it has with other
lexical items in the language.

For example, you wouldn't set up a lexical function for all the Latinate
borrowings in English would you?

John Roberts

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com