[Lexicog] Deductions - mind or emotions

Patrick Chew patrick.chew at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 5 01:21:35 UTC 2008

Since Dr, Sheynin made comment on how Russian uses the same collocation of
"it seems to me" for feel/think/believe, I'd like to add in some comments
about Korean.

Korean has separate verbs for 'to believe (*in* sth.)' [믿- mit-], 'to think'
[생각 하- saenggak ha-], 'to feel' [느끼- nŭkki-], but none are used in cases of
the "it seems like ..." and your real-life experience with your colleague.
From a quick mental run through of various semantics possible,of the above
verbs, only 'to think' could possibly take a potential/conditional clause,
but since it's extremely abrupt, I cannot imagine anyone ever using it,
unless trying to be confrontational; one would always use "it seems that..."
construction: ...[verb]-[modifier.particle] 'thing' [be.like]-{verbal
ending}.

In the case of a circumlocution, "It seems like you don't know the way", it
would be as follows:

sŏnsaeng.nim-ŭn ka-nŭn kil morŭ.shi-nŭn kŏt kat'-a.yo
teacher.HON-TOPIC go-MOD road not_know.HON-MOD thing be_like-PRES.POLITE
lit.: It is like the teacher does not know the way.
prag. It seems like you do not know the way.

I can only surmise that the semantic fields/valences/etc your colleague may
have associated with the English verbs 'think' 'believe' 'feel' may be
mapped from Korean where 'feel' might be the only option she might have for
this type of evidential frame. I'm surprised the whole "it seems
like/that..." wasn't the initial construction used.

Best regards,
-Patrick Chew