[Lexicog] Toolbox 1.5.3

Wayne Leman wayne.leman at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 6 19:52:31 UTC 2008

Wayne Leman wrote:

> Toolbox version 1.5.3, a minor upgrade, was released as a free
> download last month:
> http://www.sil.org/computing/toolbox/downloads.htm

Toolbox is not supported by SIL any more; it has been in a kind of
maintenance mode. It was superseded by Shoebox, which in turn was
superseded by FieldWorks Language Explorer (FLEx):
http://www.sil.org/computing/fieldworks/flex/

Actually, Shoebox was the first program, then Toolbox replaced it. Shoebox is no longer maintained by SIL, but Toolbox is still maintained by SIL. There is also a discussion list for Toolbox users:
http://groups.google.com/group/ShoeboxToolbox-Field-Linguists-Toolbox?hl=en

The SIL Toolbox programmers and consultants are on that discussion list.

FLEx is far more sophisticated and recommendable, though it is
inevitably more complicated than Toolbox (and Shoebox). I have a short
online guide about FLEx prepared for a certain workshop I organized
last summer:
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/flex.html

Thank you for this information,
shalom,
Wayne Leman

--
Tsuguya Sasaki / Tsvi Sadan
Department of Hebrew and Semitic Languages
ts at ts-cyberia.net
http://www.ts-cyberia.net/