[Lexicog] Making verbs alphabetize correctly in an English to Karuk finderlist

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 26 23:53:05 UTC 2008

Susan Gehr wrote:

“What would you put in the \ge \re and \de fields?”

The crucial issue in a finder list is to alphabetize the entries under those
words that the user is most likely to look under in order to find the entry
he is looking for. So you should pick the key word (or words) in the
definition and put it first:

\re year, be a

\re exhausted, be

\re exhausted, be completely

\re sober, be

\re thin, be

\re thin, be very

\re sick, be

\re sick, get

If you have a verb that means something like “be completely exhausted so
that you can no longer continue working”, I would fill in the \ge \re and
\de fields thus:

\ge be.completely.exhausted

\re exhausted, be completely

\de to be completely exhausted so that you can no longer continue working

The gloss should be a short (preferably one word) string of characters with
no spaces. If you need more than one word in the gloss, you should join them
with a period or underscore. The reversal should be relatively short and
should begin with the key word from the definition. The definition should
aim at being a complete description of the meaning and usage. I would avoid
“to” in both the gloss and reversal fields unless it is needed to
disambiguate a noun and verb pair. Since an interlinear display usually
includes a line for the grammatical category, you don’t need to disambiguate
the gloss. So a noun/verb pair would be treated thus:

\lx agapao

\ps v

\ge love

\re love, to

\de to love someone and want to do good things for them

\lx agape

\ps n

\ge love

\re love

\de love, the desire to do good things for someone

Ron Moe

   _____