[Lexicog] When Words Lose Meaning

bolstar1 bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 13 20:31:57 UTC 2008

     It's interesting to watch what happens to words when any of five
inconvenient factors intrude on an original (if there is such a thing
as an origninal): 1) emotion  2) politics  3) metaphorical use  4)
location  5) time.

     1) Emotion leads toward stretching, exaggeration, or hyperbole
(for rhetorical effect): ("Ohhh, I've told you a million times not to
exaggerate."; "That guy kills me!"). It's not surprising that youth
and youthful exuberance shape and distinguish the vocabulary of
teenagers.
     2) Politics lead toward misnomers, half-truths, selectivity
("The U.S. is currently in a recession.") The Bloomberg Report's
recent assessment of the U.S. economy in the last quarter was a
positive .01% growth, predicted to grow 1.6% next quarter. Two
consecutive quarters of overall economic decline constitutes a
`recession' -- not a feeling, fear, or analysis of isolated economic
sectors. Three quarters of Americans think that we are in a
recession. Otherwise it is considered a `downturn', `slump',
`slowdown', or `weakening period'.
     3) Metaphorical use lends itself to lofty, other-worldly, exotic
verbage -- resulting in enigmatic semantics. Take-offs on and
parodies of metaphors play well to humor -- "The early worm is for
the birds." (Peter's Almanac).
     4) "Location, location, location." is not just a real-estate
dictum, it's a real-linguistic time machine (according to the
philologists). For example, at one time in the history of Korea, the
people of Cheju Island (the equivalent of Hawaii to the US) just off
its southeastern coast, spoke an identical language with the
mainlanders. That was when they were in their migration mode, but the
day they leaped from being mainlanders to islanders, the language(s)
diverged, until today Cheju-mal and Hankuk-mal are mutually
unintelligable. Needless to say, this is why German became
unintelligible to the English -- the process beginning with the
invasion of the British Isles 1,533 years ago.
     5) Time is similar to location, and leads to dated-sounding and
archaic terms. The first demarcation of English language eras (475 -
1066) came after 591 years. The second one (1066 - 1500) came after
434 years. The third one (1500-2008) is now 508 years old -- about
the average between the first two. This is why students basically
dislike Shakespeare, and why modernized versions are an inevitable
and natural progression in its study. Interesting to see how even
some of Shakespeare's words were considered archaic, or at least
dated, even at the time of writing (e.g. `eyne' for eyes -- A
Midsummer Night's Dream 1.1.142-43 -- "For ere Demetrius looked on
Hermia's eyne || He hailed down oaths that he was only mine"). The
emending the "archaism" of `eyne' would break the rhyme, and is an
example of one of the difficulties in modernizing Shakespeare.
     Perhaps a middle-ground before the wide-spread use of modernized
versions in the classroom will be with annotated editions -- but with
the original words/phrases at the base of the page, the reverse of
the present (spellings and punctuation of his works are already
thoroughly modernized). The emerging tendency is to present the
original and a modernized version side by side (still few and far
between in current American texts). Modernizing Beowulf and Chaucer
are precursor examples to this inevitability.
     Another example of this modernizing tendency is The King James
Bible (1611), which has been largely replaced with modernized
versions in American churches, due to its archaic wording, although
it was after the mid-twentieth century before this became common.
Shakespeare's The Tempest was written the same year (1611), two years
before the end of Shakespeare's writing career in 1613.
     Another issue completely is the question of modernizing his
allusions -- to local feasts, local customs, rituals, ballads,
proverbs, personages, etc. These pose a distinct set of problems from
simple emendation of isolated colloquialisms, words (even function
words, like prepositions), and phrases. They probably will remain as
annotations long after the isolated words are emended. This is aside
from his constant references to mythology, medicine, seamansip,
falconry, 16th-century European cultural understandings,
superstitions, etc., a sure point of contention when modernized
versions become wide spread.

     An example of a Shakespeare sentence follows, using the
Shakespeare coinage word, `critic' . It includes six words modern-
sounding words, but which have shifted in denotation and/or
connotation to the point of  appearing cryptic to the modern ear.
(terms eliciting annotations modern texts are in bold, ilialic, and
underlined):

Troilus and Cressida 5.02.128-131(1)
     Think we had mothers; do not give advantage
     To stubborn critics, apt, without a theme,
     for depravation, to square the general sex
     By Cressid's rule.  (Signet)

     Think* remember that  (Riverside); bear in mind  (C.T. Onions)
     stubborn* harsh; rude; rough; ruthless; implacable; insensitive
(Onions)
     critic* fault-finder; caviller (Onions) || petty and unnecessary
objector  (Oxford)
     apt*  1) ready; prepared; willing  2) easily impressed;
impressionable; natural; likely  (Onions)
     apt...depravation* ready and eager to claim the depravity of
women, but lacking examples  (Signet)
           || always ready, even when they have no grounds for
denigration  (Riverside)
     theme* discourse; undertaking; business  (Onions)
     depravation* defamation; detraction  (Onions)
     square...rule* take the measure of womanhood by Cressida's
standard  (Signet)
     || measure all women by the yardstick of Cressida's behavior.
(Riverside)
     square* estimate (Onions)
     the general sex* all womankind  (Onions)

Modernized version:

     Consider that we had mothers; do not give advantage
     To harsh fault-finders, willing, without any undertaking,
     for defamation, to estimate the general sex
     By Cressid's rule.

     These are examples of extant words that are enigmatic (by
today's definitions), and not representative of his innumerable nonce
words that happened not to catch on in the English idiom -- most of
which are an additional step beyond the pale.
     But there are exceptions. One that stands out, because it never
quite caught on, yet would seem a likey candidate to remain extant,
is his word `annexment' (adjunct, or appendage). A Shakespeare
coinage, Oxford labels its use as "rare" and defines it as "that
which is annexed; an ajunct, or supplement". Its meaning in relation
to its assumed current counterpart `annexation' is tenuous, though,
because of its political, territorial, or legal denotation. Other
surrounding words from the passage lend themselves more readily to
the modernizers' pen.

Hamlet 3.03.015(2)-022(1)

     The cess of majesty
     Dies not alone, but like a gulf doth draw
     What's near it with it; or it is a massy wheel
     Fixed on the summit of the highest mount,
     To whose huge spokes ten thousand lesser things
     Are mortised and adjoined, which when it falls,
     Each small annexment, petty consequence,
     Attends the boist'rous ruin.  (Signet)

     cess of majesty* cessation (death) of a king  (Signet,
Riverside, Onions)
     gulf* whirlpool  (Signet, Riverside)
     mortis'd* fixed  (Riverside)|| held together  (Onions)
     annexment* adjunct; appendage  (Riverside, Oxford Shakespeare)
     Attends* waits on; participates in  (Signet) || accompanies
(Riverside)
     ruin* fall  (Riverside)

Modernized version:

                            The cessation of a king
     Dies not alone, but like a whirlpool doth draw
     What's near it with it; or it is a massy wheel
     Fixed on the summit of the highest mount,
     To whose huge spokes ten thousand lesser things
     Are fixed and adjoined, which when it falls,
     Each small appendage, petty consequence,
     Accompanies the boist'rous fall.

     The issue of words losing/changing meaning is one that can
easily be resolved by extending definitions (or adding modernized
versions -- connected by links). It will continue to be the nemesis
of lexicographers and teachers in hard copy.

Scott Nelson

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com