[Lexicog] Spellchecking Unicode in MS-Office

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Nov 14 22:06:11 UTC 2008

Jan F. Ullrich wrote:
> We found out that the character is recognized when we associate the
> text with a different language for spellchecking, for instance
> French, but then other characters are not recognized. If we keep the
> text assigned to English spellchecking (which is desired) then it is
> only h-caron that is not recognized.

The first question I would ask is, why associate Lakota text with
English?  I assume by this you mean that Word thinks the Lakota text is
English, but you have somehow substituted another spell checker (else
all the words in the text would have red underlines).

I'm not sure what the method is to tell Word (and the other MsOffice
products) that there is a language called Lakota, but there must be one
(since Ms is very involved in and knowledgeable about
internationalization).  And presumably that is where you define the
word-forming characters of the language.

This is probably not the right forum to ask that kind of question.  I
would go to Google groups and look for "groups" that address
internationalization (there's an abbreviation, something like in8ion)
and/or MsOffice.  Also search Microsoft's website for
"internationalization".

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ U MD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com