[Lexicog] Spellchecking Unicode in MS-Office

Fri Nov 14 23:17:09 UTC 2008

I was surprised at the claim that Word is MS is knowledgeable about
internationalization. While they have grudgingly gotten better over
the years (I started using Microsoft software with Windows 3.1
Japanese), the last I checked, Explorer still could not handle all of
the characters in Lushootseed, the language local to Redmond,
Washington! My complaint about this on Microsoft's forum went
unanswered.

Fighting the spell checker, fonts, language settings and other Windows
and Office settings is a problem I encounter on a day-to-day basis as
I frequently deal with files in Japanese and other languages. Moreover
to this day, there are characters that cannot be replaced in Word
search and replace. I have learned to be aggressive in searching and
replacing those manually.

Of course the two-letter language codes that Windows offers cannot
handle the nearly 7000 languages in the world, so I seriously doubt
that Lakota is a possibility.

My suggestion is to do a search and replace on h-caron, replacing h-
caron (no formatting) with h-caron language set to do not spell check.
I don't know if that's a possibility, but it's probably your best bet.

Benjamin Barrett