[Lexicog] idioms

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 21 20:12:23 UTC 2008

I've always believed that idioms should be included in a dictionary. What
has not been so clear is how many, and what phrases qualify. Some of the
things I've read recently suggest that users would benefit from an
indication of the collocational patterns of a word. But if we are looking at
tens of thousands of set phrases, surely documenting those would take
precedence? If grammarians generalize, but should also "list massively",
then we lexicographers must list even more massively. (The picture comes to
mind of a ship listing dangerously to one side.) So here are my questions:

How do we collect idioms? Suggested answers: (1) Search our text corpus. (2)
Use the DDP word collection method. (3) Go through the dictionary and for
each single word try to think of idioms that use the word.

On what basis do we include an idiom in our dictionary (if we have space
restrictions)? Suggested answers: (1) Include frequently used idioms (if you
have a way to determine frequency, such as a large text corpus).

How do we deal with them? Suggested answers: (1) Just list them at the end
of the entry for one or more of the constituent words. Don't even attempt to
describe or define them. (2) Create a main entry for each and describe them
like any other lexeme. This option can create problems for alphabetizing
idioms, making it hard for the user to find the entry. Where will the user
look to find 'I don't care'? Under 'I' or 'care'? (2) Create a subentry for
each and append them to one or more of the constituent words.

So, what have the rest of you done? How have you handled idioms? What
problems have you encountered and what solutions did you come up with? I
would really like to have a good handle on this issue and I don't feel like
I do.

Ron Moe

  _____