[Lexicog] citation forms and how to 'file'

Piotr Bański bansp at O2.PL
Mon Oct 27 13:33:08 UTC 2008

Mike Maxwell pisze:
> Piotr Bański wrote:
>> Now let me point you to one paper that argues for keeping derivatives
>> together with their roots...
>>
>> And here's another nice paper, arguing roughly the opposite...
>
> If I'm not mistaken, FieldWorks (which the OP is using) allows you to
> postpone this kind of decision until you print the dictionary; the
> database itself is agnostic to this sort of decision.  And since you can
> obviously print the dictionary multiple times (or convert it into some
> kind of file for on-line display, like HTML), you can make the choice in
> different ways for different audiences.

That would be a very thoughtful move on the part of the creators of FW.
In fact, the first paper concludes with a hint that the issue should
ideally be a matter of presentation only. In a dictionary that my
colleague and I are working on, we want to make the choice (of whether
to aggregate or scatter derivatives) explicitly subject to the user's
decision.

  Piotr

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com