[Lexicog] citation forms and how to 'file'

lengosi pcunger at MSN.COM
Mon Oct 27 05:36:56 UTC 2008

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Mike Maxwell <maxwell at ...> wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, FieldWorks (which the OP is using) allows you to
> postpone this kind of decision until you print the dictionary; the
> database itself is agnostic to this sort of decision.  And since you
can
> obviously print the dictionary multiple times (or convert it into some
> kind of file for on-line display, like HTML), you can make the
choice in
> different ways for different audiences.
> --
> 	Mike Maxwell
> 	maxwell at ...

I don't claim to be anything close to an expert with FieldWorks, but
are you referring to the export options: 'root-based', 'stem-based',
and 'configured'? As I understand it, I need to decide on a word's
"Entry Type" ("Main Entry" or "Derivation", "Compound", etc.), and if
it's not a "Main Entry" refer it back to the appropriate one with
"Primary Entry References". And then I just choose the export format
and it's all done for me? I guess I have to understand my software
better . . . I guess all that remains is to decide on a citation form;
specifically, whether to include an object suffix (to distinguish, for
example, /gharasu/ 'move' from /gharasua/ 'move something') or not.
Thanks for the input so far!

Paul

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com