[Lexicog] Re: A bit of orientation needed! (Dictionary Solftware)

langwijmijij anggarrgoon at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 17 16:55:13 UTC 2009

I have been developing comparative/etymological dictionaries in
Filemaker for some time now as part of NSF work on Australian language
reconstruction. There are several different ways to proceed, and what
is done depends very much on what purpose of the database is. It
requires a fair amount of planning, not least because it can be quite
difficult to change the set up later on. Even something relatively
simple like displaying the etyma for certain cognate sets requires
certain decisions.  in my experience, the programming is fairly easy
to learn, it's working out how to conceptualise the framework for the
data and to anticipate the consequence of this for the project that
takes the time (and can't necessarily be done by a database expert
because they don't have the linguistics).
Claire

> That said, I have done very little work with relational databases,
and I
> know that some of them give you visual tools so that you can avoid
> programming in SQL (the standard language for relational databases),
> which might help you avoid some of the work (but not the modeling).
> Perhaps someone on this list has used some of those tools and can
comment.

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com