[Lexicog] Export .pdf from FLEx???

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Wed Jan 28 06:47:13 UTC 2009

If it will produce the output you want, you should be able to Print from FLEx to a PDF printer driver, just as you can with any other program. I like using the freeware program CutePDF, but there are others available also:

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Wayne Leman
http://ninilchik.noadsfree.com

  > I am building a lexicon in SIL's Fieldworks Language Explorer, and
  > now that I'm getting some bulk to my dictionary I want to export it
  > as a pdf and check out how it looks. I am NOT familiar with XML
  > files, or what to do with them once you've exported them. I
  > understand that XML files are viewable in a web browser, but pdf is
  > much more practical and useful for email, etc. My question is how do
  > I export to a pdf, or convert the xml (from "Dictionary View") to
  > pdf.

  I may be wrong, but as far as I know, there is no direct way to export a
  FLEx lexicon to PDF. I do the following (unfortunately, it takes several
  steps):

  1) Export from FLEx to Lexique Pro (http://www.lexique.pro/):
  Menu -> File -> Export Lexicon -> Lexicon: MDF Standard Format
  2) Import from FLEx to Lexique Pro:
  Menu -> File -> Open
  3) Export as an ODT document:
  Menu -> File -> Export as Document
  4) Convert to PDF with OpenOffice.org Writer

  Lexique Pro also allows you to export a lexicon as an HTML document.

  The following webpages of mine on FLEx and Lexique Pro may interest you;
  they are based on the materials I prepared for a workshop about these
  two programs I organized and taught some time ago:
  http://www.ts-cyberia.net/flex.html
  http://www.ts-cyberia.net/lexiquepro.html

  You may also be interested in joining FLEx mailing list:
  http://groups.google.com/group/flex-list/

  --
  Tsvi Sadan (Tsuguya Sasaki)
  Department of Hebrew and Semitic Languages
  ts at ts-cyberia.net
  http://www.ts-cyberia.net/