[Lexicog] copyright-free images for use in dictionary

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Wed Jun 17 19:26:18 UTC 2009

> I'm well aware that there are multiple Creative Commons licenses

That's why I chose the words "Many people think Creative Commons is
a single license type" and not, say, "Bill Poser thinks Creative
Commons is a single license type"; it wasn't aimed at you, I just
thought I'd make it more explicitly clear for others on the list who
might not have fully understood that - which seems reasonable given
that this is a common area of misunderstanding (heck, most people
think you can just grab and use any old thing you want off the
Internet, never mind actually understand the fine points of
different CC sub-license types). Your phrasing "generally use"
implicitly made it sound like you're probably good to go not even
checking such things (even though I realised you didn't mean that) -
because that's what "you can generally re-use" basically means
(unless this is just a local variation in my particular English
dialect).

> much too pessimistic. The great majority of Wikipedia images whose
> license I have checked require only attribution plus, often,
> non-commercial use. Contrary to your implication, an attribution
> requirement is not an impediment to use in a dictionary.

I implied no such thing - just making people more aware that there
may be an attribution requirement and that it's comparatively far
more onerous than just, say, 'grabbing from Wikipedia and using'.

It's actually a strangely absurd claim to say I implied that, since
it's extremely obvious that everyone on this list is more than
intelligent enough to figure out that an attribution requirement is
hardly some impossible hurdle to overcome, anyone here can figure
out "oh that means I must put the copyright holder's name there".
The only thing is realising that they must do it. I don't even know
why you're making such a big issue of this; it was a bit of short,
simple, straightforward commentary and you've somehow twisted it all
into something it's not.

> I've had picture credit fields in my databases with automatic
> generation of credits in the dictionary text for many years and see no
> reason why this should be a problem for anyone else.

Sure it shouldn't, as long as they realise they must actually do
that, and that's all I was saying. I'm quite sure you understand the
nuances of copyright law, but my message wasn't aimed at you, there
*are* other people on this list. To many people copyright issues are
very vaguely and poorly understood; some people don't care, while
some may have grown up in other cultures where Western concepts of
copyright are simply foreign (I don't mean that in a condescending
way, it's just a statement of fact).

I've encountered many different types of people producing
dictionaries, and you'd probably be surprised how many people
flagrantly flout copyright given half the chance at a flimsy
rationalisation ... even people working in ostensibly legitimate
publishing businesses. I've met people who literally thought it was
perfectly OK to copy other dictionaries wholesale (some made the
effort to pretend, some literally just didn't see anything wrong
with that), and I've met people who thought it OK to copy huge
chunks of other dictionaries, or entire specific fields, people who
literally dumped any old copyright images and texts and descriptions
that they Googled from all over the Internet into their
dictionaries, and so on. So I think it's worth being explicit and
clear about these issues and the requirements and obligations and so
on.

> Actually, what constitutes "commercial use" as a matter of law is not
> terribly clear, but in any case, what you actually need to deal with is
> not the legal definition, which sets an upper bound on what the
> copyright owner may require, but his or her actual intention.

Of course, I didn't suggest otherwise.

> The kind of people who post images on Wikipedia tend to be people who
> would not want others to make a profit from their images without
> obtaining their permission and compensating them but who would
> consider the inclusion of their images in a not-really-profit-making
> dictionary of a small language quite appropriate even if it is
> technically "commercial". In my own case, for example, if someone were
> to publish a $100 coffee table book of my photos of British Columbia,
> I'd want a cut, but if someone wants to use some of them in a
> dictionary or local history or some such thing of which they are a
> minor component and which is not really for profit, that's fine with
> me. Of course, if your dictionary might constitute a commercial
> publication it would be wise to contact the copyright holder and
> check.

You can't really make solid assumptions about the copyright holder's
precise intentions based on the notion of the "type of people who
generally publish things on Wikipedia" (which is anyway *extremely*
varied), that's kind of wishful thinking that the copyright holder
'isn't going to mind' - sure it sounds like something you might be
able to use as, say, an argument in court - but the whole point is
that you don't want to ever get that far in the first place, even if
that hypothetical court ended up agreeing with you. The bottom line
is, if it says non-commercial, and you in almost any way generate
some income from a project, you should get permission from the
copyright holder. Almost everyone wants to think their project is
"not reeeeeaaaally commercial", but it alway looks different from
the copyright holder's perspective, and it's their work. Even if
you're making a loss or breaking even or whatever, it may still be
commercial, because there is little actual difference between "a
project that generates some income but doesn't turn a profit" and "a
commercial venture that makes a loss just because it's run badly"
other than perception. I've known some pretty wealthy people who
were running "non-profits".

Clearing permission is just sensible project management anyway,
because even though in most cases the copyright holder probably
won't mind, for those few borderline cases you'd be unnecessarily
opening your project to potential liability: If there is any
possible vagueness in interpretation of how the licensing conditions
might apply, and the copyright holder decides you crossed a line you
thought you didn't, then if you've actually waited until you've
published a dictionary for this problem to air, things are going to
be decidedly more complicated than if you brought it up before
publishing.

Another reason major publishers don't usually use pictures off the
Internet is that in most cases it's extremely difficult to actually
confirm the true source of an available image - the (often
effectively anonymous) person who put it on Wikimedia in the first
place might've stolen it from elsewhere themselves (whether in
ignorance or otherwise, doesn't matter). For small projects in
obscure markets, sure it'll likely never be a problem, but it's
certainly something to keep in mind for any serious project; if a
major publisher publishes a dictionary with inadvertently stolen
images, that would be something of a nuisance.

Pessimistic, you say? Probably - wouldn't be the first time I've
been called a pessimist. But the way I see it, part of any project
manager's job description is to recognize potential risks and
mitigate them. I'll leave it to the optimists and gamblers out there
to test the boundaries.

 - David

---
http://tshwanedje.com/