[Lexicog] part-of-speech subcats

Sebastian Drude sebastian.Drude at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 18 19:35:58 UTC 2009

Thank you Ronald and Alan,

for your helpfully replying to my question.  It seems, if I want to use
Toolbox the way I pretend, probably continuing to use a non-standard
(self-made) *\pss* field will do best; but yes, I will have indeed to
pre-process the dictionary each time I want to print or export.

I am aware of FieldWork, thank you, Ronald, and will try its import-process
a.s.a.p.  Maybe that also helps to "clean" my lexical databases without
haveing to try SOLID out.

I have not used FieldWork yet because I am not comfortable with a
400MB-program (with .NET and SQL more than 880MB seems to be needed to
install it all) which saves its data solely in a relational database of
several hundred MBs.
I prefer very much the simple Standard Format (text) files toolbox produces
and which I can easily manipulate with a general text editor (or CC tables).

Furthermore, I use ELAN <http://www.lat-mpi.eu/tools/elan> for storing and
publishing texts, which are mostly annotated media files, and ELAN accepts
(with difficulties) interlinearized SF files as import and export options.
So I rely to Toolbox for doing the interlinearization and then transfer the
annotation to EAF (ELAN Annotation Format).  But FieldWork does not permit
(yet?) transcription and annotation of video files and, worse, does not
provide export capacities of interlinearized text to SF files.  So, how do I
get my text data out of Fieldwork (I am not going to program an XSL
stylesheet to convert the Fieldwork-generated XML-files to SF)?

Generally, I hope that Toolbox will be maintained and developed further as a
complementary tool to FieldWork.

Best,

Sebastian