[Lexicog] Tshwanelex DTD Tree

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat Sep 19 04:29:16 UTC 2009

>        |         |__Notes
>        |         |__Source
>        |__Example
>                |__Pronunciation
>                |          |_Source
>                |__Target language sentence
>                |__Translation
>                |__Notes
>
> Could you please tell me if it's ok and how I could enter such a tree in
> my Tshwanelex DTD ?

I have no advice on the DTD, but I do have a few questions about the above.

Which fields are repeating, and which are optional (or both)?

You seem to have several fields that all have to do with the way a
lexeme is written or pronounced.  I'm guessing that the reason for both
an 'Orthographies' field (why plural?) and a 'Pronunciation' is that the
orthography is not phonemic, i.e. you can't always predict the
pronunciation from the written form.  That's understandable, but what
are the Variants?  Dialectal variants?  If so, do you want to label them
with the dialect that they come from?

Also, there is a single Pronunciation field for the lemma (citation form
or stem, or maybe these are the same?), but under the Morphology element
you have both Pronunciation and Forms.  This doesn't seem to be
parallel--what does the Forms field do?

How are you deciding which morphological variants to include: only the
irregular ones, or all of them?  For the ones you include, how are you
notating their morphosyntactic properties (plural, past tense,...)?
Does this go into the Notes element?

Also, you have Homonym Number and Sense Number.  I would have guessed
that Tshwanelex would supply these automatically (and update them if you
add, delete or re-arrange senses or homonymous lemmas); but maybe not.

Part of Speech appears twice: once where I would expect it, as an
immediate daughter of Lemma, and once embedded down inside Sense.  That
seems odd.  I think the former is more normal.

    Mike Maxwell
    CASL/ U MD

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com