[Lexicog] Fw: Request for linguistic help [1 Attachment]

Jimm GoodTracks jgoodtracks at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 12:14:45 UTC 2010

<*>[Attachment(s) from Jimm GoodTracks included below]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Markus Ising" <markus.ising at uni-tuebingen.de>
To: <jgoodtracks at gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:46 PM
Subject: Request for linguistic help

Dear Sir,

my name is Markus Ising and I am a researcher in Romance linguistics
at the University of Tübingen, Germany. You find further information
on me and my work under the following link (for an English version of
my current work, please click on the subsequent link "Homepage"):

http://www.romanistik.uni-tuebingen.de/?q=user/55

I am currently working on an article on lexical typology, which is to
appear in a secret festschrift on the occasion of the sixtieth
birthday of my PhD supervisor Professor Peter Koch. His name (germ.
Koch 'the cook') gave me the idea to examine the words for THE COOK
and TO COOK within the broadest possible scope. This includes
indigenous languages as well as those of minorities or endangered
languages of the world. Originally, I meant to work with data from
dictionaries alone, but I had to find that only very few are available
in Tübingen. In addition, many of the current online dictionaries do
not provide the analytic annotations I need.

In order to finish writing the article until the deadline late in
March 2010, I therefore depend also on language information by experts
and native speakers. Since you work with rather exclusive languages -
from a (Indo-)European perspective - resp. know these languages, I
would ask you for your support by answering the few questions you find
attached. Please let me know whether I may quote you and the examples
provided by you in my text.

It would also be most helpful if you could forward this request to
colleagues of yours who might contribute information on
non-Indo-European languages, or if you could send me their contact
details.

I am aware that my request means additional work; I apologize for that
in advance. You will of course receive a copy of the article to
recompense you for your troubles.

Many thanks in advance for your help. You can reach me anytime for
further information via this email address or by telephone (office:
+49 7071 / 2974297; home: +49 7071 / 8690110).

Best wishes from Tübingen,

Markus Ising

<*>Attachment(s) from Jimm GoodTracks:

  <*> Questionnaire 1.pdf