[Lexicog] entry creation

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Tue May 29 20:36:51 UTC 2012

I’ve never seen such an entry. I’ve had to create an entry for a diacritic, but fortunately I could use a naturally occurring word (consisting of a single letter with diacritic) as a citation form. But that’s different.

If the dictionary is for linguists, the null symbol ∅ would work fine. If it is for non-linguists, I’m not so sure. The only other option I can think of is to give a description in parentheses:

(third singular pronoun) pro. He/she; sometimes the third singular pronoun is not expressed by any word…

Here are a few considerations that I can think of:

1) Where will it alphabetize? Will it need a new alphabetic section? Will the software handle it?

2) Will any user ever know to look for it or will it only ever be found by accident?

3) Will the user understand the article as it is presented?

4) If the users aren’t linguists, will they understand the null symbol or a description such as “null morpheme” or “zero morpheme”?

5) Are there other null morphemes that also need to be described? If so, what will the citation form look like (∅²)? If you want a cross-reference, what will it look like (see ∅²)? (Sounds like a chemical formula for carbon dioxide.)

I would be tempted to omit the dictionary article and put the discussion in a grammar sketch where I had the space to adequately explain it, for instance by including a pronoun chart to show the system.

Ron Moe

  _____