[Lexicog] audio component

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sat Apr 27 13:46:07 UTC 2013

Dear Jan,

I have used the following method. Extract a script from your lexicon of the
headwords you want to have spoken. Record a speaker saying them in order.
Enter the script into time-aligning software like Transcriber or Elan and
align each word to the relevant segment (actually quite quick if you use
the visual image of the wave form to help you decide on the chunking of the
audio file). There is software that will align a script and audio, but I
think that is only available for large languages.

Once you have finished, you need to export the information from Transcriber
so that is in the form 'timecode, tab, text' . This can then be imported
into Audacity as 'labels' for the imported audio file. Once you see all the
words as labels in the Audacity file you can select 'Export multiple' and
Audacity will proceed to chop up the file into small files (you select if
you want them as .wav or .mp3), each named as per the label.

It is magic to watch Audacity plough through the file creating new mp3
files!

I hope this helps,

Nick