[Lexicog] Shakespeare and words

benjaminbarrett85@gmail.com [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Tue Sep 23 21:51:11 UTC 2014

My reaction to this article was very different.

I was dismayed that anyone would assume that the lack of a citation from the sixteenth century or earlier means Shakespeare invented a word. Despite noting that these are first-known citations, Lederer nevertheless claims Shakespeare made up 8.5 percent of his vocabulary.

Although not very believable, the anecdote about the student is one that I read around 1990, but in that version, it was an old woman who complained about the cliches.

 That Mensa would allow their name to be associated with this article seems like a joke.

The flaws of the article shouldn't distract from Shakespeare's accomplishments, but unfortunately, those flaws ruined the article for me.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! Aynu Itak https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home

 https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home