[Lexicog] Shakespeare and words

'Kenneth C. Hill' kennethchill@yahoo.com [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Tue Sep 23 23:06:33 UTC 2014

Shakespeare's influence on English phraseology may be great, but even greater is that of William Tyndale, the Bible translator, who probably has had more influence on modern English usage than any other writer. Quotation dictionaries tend to ignore Tyndale and cite his contributions simply under "Bible" or the like.

Ken Hill

>________________________________

words
>>Celebrating the Bard’s 450th
birthday
>>by Richard
Lederer

>>On April 23, we will celebrate the 450th birthday
of the greatest word-maker who ever trod the earthly stage. Of the 20,138
basewords that Shakespeare employs in his plays, sonnets, and other poems, his
is the first known use of over 1,700 of them! The most verbally innovative of
our authors, Shakespeare made up more than 8.5percent of his written
vocabulary. Reading his works is like witnessing the birth of modern
English.
>>Among his verbal inventions arc: auspicious, bedroom,
bump, dishearten, dwindle, hurry, lapse, lonely, majestic, road, sneak, and useless. So great is his influence on his native tongue that we find it
hard to imagine a time when these words did not exist:
>>Oscar Wilde once quipped, “Now we sit through
Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.” Unrivaled in so many other
ways in matters verbal, Shakespeare is unequaled as a
phrasemaker.
>>A student who attended a performance of “Hamlet” came
away complaining that the play “was nothing more than a bunch of clichés.” The
reason for this common reaction is that so many of the memorable expressions in
“Hamlet” have become proverbial. In that one play alone were born: brevity is
the soul of wit; there’s the rub; to thine own self be true; it smells to
heaven; the very witching time of night; the primrose path; though this be
madness, yet there is method in it; dog will have his day; the apparel oft
proclaims the man; neither a borrower nor a lender be; frailty, thy name is
woman; something is rotten in the state of Denmark; more honored in the breach
than the observance; hoist with his own petard; the lady doth protest too much;  to be or not to be; sweets for the sweet; the be-all and end-all; to the manner
born, and, more in sorrow than in anger.
>>Cudgel your brain, and you can append a sample of
everyday, idiomatic phrases from other Shakespearean plays: if you knit your
brow and wish that this disquisition would vanish into thin air because it is
Greek to you, you are quoting William Shakespeare in all his infinite variety.
If you point the finger at strange bedfellows and blinking -idiots, you are
converting Shakespeare’s coinages into currency. If you have seen better days in
your salad days, when you wore your heart on your sleeve, you are, whether you
know it or not, going from Bard to verse.
>>If you break the ice with one fell swoop, if you never
stand on ceremonies, if you play it fast and loose until the crack of doom, if
you paint the lily, if you hope for a plague on both houses, if you are more
sinned against than sinning because you have all been eaten out of house and
home by your own flesh and blood (the most unkindest cut of all), if you haven’t
slept a wink and are breathing your last because you’re in a pickle, if you
carry within you the milk of human kindness and a heart of gold (even though you  know that all that glisters is not gold), if you laugh yourself into stitches at
too much of a good thing, if you make a virtue of necessity, if you know that
the course of true love never did run smooth, and if you won’t budge an
inch—why, if the truth be told and the truth will out, what the dickens, in a
word, right on!, be that as it may, the game is up — you are, as luck would have
it, standing on that tower of strength of phrasemakers, William
Shakespeare.
>>The etymologist Ernest Weekley said of Shakespeare, “His
contribution to our phraseology is ten times greater than that of any writer to
any language in the history of the world.” The essayist and novelist Walter
Pater exclaimed, “What a garden of words!” In Sonnet CXVI, the Bard himself
wrote, “If this be error and upon me proved,/I never writ, nor no man ever
loved.” If Shakespeare had not lived and written with such a loving ear for the
music of our language, our English tongue would be immeasurably the poorer. No
day goes by that we do not speak and hear and read and write his
legacy.
>>(Reprinted from Mensa Bulletin, April/May 2014, ed. Roger
Brooks)