[Lexicog] agreed-upon minimum size for lexicographic corpora

maxwell maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Tue Jul 5 15:41:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-05 05:39, 'Sang Yong Lee' sang-yong_lee at sall.com
[lexicographylist] wrote:
> ...About forty percent of those words, however,
> were inflected verb forms. (Newell 1995: 43)

My reply assumed lemmatization (or stemming), so that all the inflected
forms of a given verb lexeme would be conflated.  That's why I referred
to "lemmas" instead of "words."

There is of course a chicken-and-egg problem with lemmatization: you
have to build a morphological parser before you can lemmatize, and you
need a dictionary before you can build a real morphological parser.  In
practice, I suppose most people build both iteratively.  A stemmer is of
course easier to build, but likely to be less precise, and doesn't
"know" about irregular words.

    Mike Maxwell

Posted by: maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com