[Lexicog] agreed-upon minimum size for lexicographic corpora

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand@gmail.com [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jul 6 06:11:28 UTC 2016

There's a recent paper that may shed some light on a data-driven approach
to finding an appropriate corpus size:

The dynamics of correlated novelties (2013)
F. Tria, V. Loreto, V.D.P. Servedio, S.H. Strogatz
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1310.1953v1

They look at the rates of changes in the curves that describe:
   - appearance of new lexical items (akin to Heaps' law)
   - relative frequencies of all items (akin to Zipf's law)

If I understand the fine print, the closer the (appropriately manipulated)
curves are to flattening out and meeting, the closer the corpus is to its
maximum informative size.  It shouldn't depend on the language typology,
or on any particular method of deciding what a "word" is, as long as there
is a random(ish) content distribution.

I'd think this could help provide a stopping rule for unlimited data, or
a measure of how good an existing corpus is (by estimating the number of
new terms another x corpus items might provide).  There's a related thread
here regarding bigger, burlier methods of estimating power laws:
http://tuvalu.santafe.edu/~aaronc/powerlaws/

I'd love to hear if anybody cranks up some code to test this.  Indeed, I'd
be happy to contribute to that person's beer fund, since I'd like the same
bit of code to ask the same question about finding new phonological segments
in lexicons / open text / field elicitation -- just how good is a very small
corpus likely to be?

Doug Cooper

Posted by: Doug Cooper <doug.cooper.thailand at gmail.com>

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com