Bushwalk before LFG '98

cmanning at mail.usyd.edu.au cmanning at mail.usyd.edu.au
Wed Apr 1 06:31:39 UTC 1998

As previously announced, there will be a bushwalk before LFG '98 with
walking and accommodation at Lamington National Park.  Since Joan can
describe the place better than I can, I'll excerpt her earlier mail:

 > O'Reilly's is an international mecca for birders, and
 > the birds are amazing ... Then there's
 > the rainforest itself: gigantic anarctic birch dating from the breakup
 > of Pangaea, vines as thick as your arm from the strangler figs,
 > scarily gorgeous ferns (some with excruciating needles that shatter in
 > your skin), and waterfalls hidden along the tracks where you can enjoy
 > a picnic lunch... (which they will pack for you on request) ...
 > All around the gardens in the
 > cabins where you stay are little creatures like wallabies and tiny
 > marsupials that substitute for squirrels and rabbits.  It's perfect
 > for lfg.  And if you don't like walking you can sit by the fire with a
 > drink and write postcards trying to describe the amazing wildlife to
 > your poor unbelieving friends back home.

Anyway, this is just one more reminder email, now that the program is
out, to find out if anyone else is interested (note that you probably
won't be able to book at the last moment, as the place fills up).  To
participate, you need to be in Brisbane by early in the morning of the
28th (at the latest -- arriving the 27th is saner).  Pricing depends on
room type, and is along the following lines, including all meals (A$1 =
US$0.67):

* single room with bathroom:		$169
* double/shared room with bathroom:	$338 for 2 (extra for food for more)
* double/shared room, shared bathroom:	$258 for 2

So, let me know if there is any additional interest.  (Notice of
conflict of interest: we've got 16 people signed up so far, and if we
can break 20, the prices for everyone go down 15%!  So we'd be pleased
to find a few more takers....)

Chris.