LFG List - query on LIH

Dick Hudson dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 09:07:23 UTC 1998

Dan Everett:
At 18:52 31/03/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I wonder if there are more recent works 'defending' the Lexical Integrity
>Hypothesis than the Bresnan & Mchombo piece in NLLT 95?

dh: Isn't the LIH the same as the principle of morphology-free syntax
(sister of phonology-free syntax) that Zwicky and Pullum have been
advocating for many years? E.g. Zwicky 1992, Some choices in the theory of
morphology. In R. Levine (ed.) Formal Grammar: Theory and implementation,
OUP, 327-71, especially 354. Indeed, isn't it inherent in any monostratal
analysis which generates surface structures directly?

Richard (=Dick) Hudson
Department of Phonetics and Linguistics,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT
work phone: +171 419 3152; work fax: +171 383 4108
email: dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk
web-sites:
  home page = http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm
  unpublished papers available by ftp = ....uk/home/dick/papers.htm