Research scholarships in theoretical linguistics

Tara W Mohanan elltaram at nus.edu.sg
Tue Jun 16 03:37:49 UTC 1998

RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS IN THEORETICAL LINGUISTICS

We are seeking applications from creative, highly motivated, and committed
individuals to do research leading to a doctoral degree in the area of
theoretical linguistics. Our current reseach program focuses on what we
call grammatical semantics, with special emphasis on lexical semantics. For
details, see our home pages (addresses given below).

Applicants must have at least some familiarity with syntax, semantics,
phonology, and morphology, and can construct and evaluate linguistic
analyses in at least two of these domains. Candidates must have a good
command of English.

Successful applicants will be admitted to the Department of English
Language and Literature (DELL) at the National University of Singapore
(NUS). Ph.D. students are eligible for a scholarship of S$1400 per month
(ample to cover living expenses) and a waiver of the tuition fees. For more
details, see the NUS home page:  http://www.nus.sg/

If you wish to apply, please send a copy of your CV to either of us, with a
covering letter explaining why you are interested in applying, and giving
details of your research interests/ experience, and background. If
possible, enclose any papers that you have written in linguistics.

KP Mohanan                     e-mail:     ellkpmoh at nus.edu.sg
                                         WWW:
http://www.nus.edu.sg/Courses/kpmoh/

Tara Mohanan                   e-mail:      elltaram at nus.edu.sg
                                         WWW:
http://www.nus.edu.sg/Courses/taram

Address:  Department of English Language and Literature,
                National University of Singapore
                Singapore 119260

Names of members of staff in the Department whose research interests
include theoretical linguistics, along with some of the areas in which they
have worked, are given below:

A/P K.P. Mohanan, Ph.D. (1982; MIT, USA): Lexical Phonology and Morphology,
underspecification, constraint interaction, non-configurationality,
control, anaphora, structure of non-native varieties of English, structure
of Malayalam, and lexical semantics.

Dr. Tara Mohanan, Ph.D. (1990; Stanford University, USA): Lexical
Phonology, multidimensional syntax, argument structure, complex predicates,
incorporation, and wordhood, case marking, anaphora,
non-configurationality, causatives, lexical semantics, and the structure of
Hindi and Malayalam.

Dr. Bao Zhiming, Ph.D. (1990; MIT, USA): Tonal phonology, syllable
structure, structure of Mandarin, the structure of Singapore English, and
contact linguistics.

Dr. Lionel Wee, Ph.D. (1995; University of California, Berkeley, USA):
Cognitive Semantics, structure of Malay, and new varieties of English.

Dr. Vivienne Fong, Ph.D. (1997; Stanford university, USA): Bridging the gap
between model theoretic semantics and conceptual semantics, and lexical
semantics and syntax.

Tara W Mohanan, elltaram at nus.edu.sg
Dept of Eng Lang & Lit, NUS, Singapore 119260
www:   http://www.nus.edu.sg/Courses/taram/

"Not what we have, but what we enjoy, constitutes an abundance."